hyundai i30

Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Sam Mendes Attacked by Broadway Legend Arthur Laurentis




Road to Perdition

HOLLYWOOD - Broadway writing legend Arthur Laurentis has attacked director Sam Mendes, accusing the Oscar winner of destroying his musical Gypsy.

Laurentis has returned to the New York stage with a new production of Gyspy at the age of 90, because he is so ashamed of the version Mendes staged in the Big Apple in 2003, starring Bernadette Peters.

The veteran--who also wrote West Side Story--tells the New York Post, "I thought Sam did a terrible disservice to Bernadette and the play, and I wanted a Gypsy seen in New York that was good.

"You have to have musical theatre in your bones and Sam doesn't. You can't put it there. I know, I tried. I gave Sam many notes, but he just couldn't do it."

COPYRIGHT 2007 WORLD ENTERTAINMENT NEWS NETWORK LTD. All Global Rights Reserved.

No comments: